THE STORY OF US
The Marland Children’s Home, formerly known as the American Legion Children’s Home, has been in existence since 1928 and is located on 100 acres of land in Kay County in north central Oklahoma. Mr. E.W. Marland, past Governor of the State of Oklahoma and owner of the Marland Oil Company, now known as Conoco-Phillips Oil Company, donated use of the land.
Mr. Marland also donated the money to build our first dorm, Marland Hall. William McFadden, a local business man and philanthropist, donated the funds for our second dorm McFadden Hall. Two additional dorms, Mabee Hall and Sarkeys Hall, were added in subsequent years.
The Administration/Education building is named after a former Superintendent and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Earl N. Summers. Since its beginning, MCH has cared for over 8,000 children with widely diverse backgrounds. At one time there were as many as 130 youth being served at the home. In 2010 the Oklahoma Department of the American Legion Board voted to close the home, but after several months the home was able to survive the closing by becoming its own entity and appointing a new board of directors. Thanks to the heirs of E.W. Marland, the property was deeded to us and our home was renamed the Marland Children’s Home in honor of the Marland family for their generous donation. Currently, we serve youth in the custody of the Department of Human Services.
Bringing children together with nurturing families